Paris Creek - named after early settlers
Situated between Meadows and Strathalbyn, Paris Creek is a typical dairy and sheep farming area, lush and green for nine months of the year. It was first settled c1850 when the Paris family established a peach orchard and pig farm.
Marble was quarried in the area from perhaps as early as 1858 and the quarry was worked in conjunction with the quarry at Macclesfield.
Stone from this quarry has been used prominently on many local public buildings including the Anglican Church and War Memorial in Macclesfield and the Catholic Church in Strathalbyn. Paris Creek marble has also been used on the State War Memorial.
Paris Creek Today
Though the marble quarry is now disused evidence of the cranes, the holes in the ground, some marble blocks and the old workers’ shack which was made from flattened out 44 gallon drums are still there.
The Paris Creek Pottery which was established in 1971 is still in operation. Paris Creek Pottery also incorporates Thimbella, home to the widest range of collectible thimbles, bells and bobbins in South Australia.
The most recent arrival in Paris Creek area is an ultra-modern biodynamic dairy producing yogurts which have become a household name in South Australia and are now being exported overseas.
Click on a listing name to view further information.